On 21.11.2007 17:13, Robert Dober wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 2:44 PM, Jari Williamsson
> <jari.williamsson / mailbox.swipnet.se> wrote:
>> Robert Klemme wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, we can make this even *more* rubyish:
>>>
>>> def get_text_characters holder_for_start_and_length
>>> end
>> Is it actually more rubyish to omit the parenthesis? I often find it
>> much harder to read, specially in e-mails with a variable-spaced font.
> ok that is not the case normally however,
> Nevertheless most people still think it is terrible (e.g. David
> Black), I believe - and some others, Ara IIRC - believe it is much
> easier to read.
>
> Consider this, your brain has not yet used to missing parens, and it
> is actually looking for them, that already is some unnecessary work,
> right ;).
> I really would love to know if Smalltalkers feel the same when they
> see Ruby using minium parens style, Rick?
>
> I guess I would use parens if I were paid to write Ruby and somebody
> paying askes me nicely (like "or you will get fired").
> So somebody ready to pay??? ;)

No, but I can ask you nicely. :-)

Seriously: it just occurs to me that the topic of using or not using
parens seems to come up much less frequently than the topic of whether
to use curly braces or "do end" with blocks.  Maybe that's an indication
that people faster adjust to the missing parens, dunno.

Kind regards

	robert