On Nov 21, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Luis Lavena wrote:

>> I also agree with this, it would be nice if RubyGems was reading a
>> system-wide configuration file as well as environment variables.
>>

> System-wide? /etc/gemrc? That seems inpractical and forces another
> check *if* you're in a *nix environment and the FHS layout exist
> (which is not the case for distros like GoboLinux).

why not simply allow for a site-wide gem configuration *within* the
top level rubylib dir?

/opt/local/lib/ruby/1.8/gem_config.rb  # or maybe yml

that way it's per ruby and can be determined easily from each ruby

require 'rbconfig'

rubylibdir = Config::CONFIG['rubylibdir']

gem_site_config = File.join rubylibdir, 'gem_config.rb'

if test ?e, gem_site_config
   load gem_site_config
end

etc.