On 11/21/07, Sylvain Joyeux <sylvain.joyeux / polytechnique.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:52:39PM +0900, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > On 11/21/07, Sylvain Joyeux <sylvain.joyeux / polytechnique.org> wrote:
> > > My guess is that they did not want to spend time digging into RubyGems
> > > code and writing the patch.
> > Which, again, isn't RubyGems problem. It's a Debian problem. Ruby and
> > RubyGems installed from source work just fine.
> I think that's what people think when they say "you don't get anything
> about package distribution". You don't care. Fine. Then just admit it
> instead of saying that Debian people are messing RubyGems. They are
> simply trying to cope with you not wanting to be distribution-friendly.

Note: I'm *not* part of the RubyGems team. I haven't submitted a patch
for anything RubyGems as far as I know.

Why *should* RubyGems care? It isn't *for* Debian. It isn't *for*
Gentoo. It isn't *for* Mac OS X. It's for Ruby.

Fact set one: Apple (1) modified RubyGems; (2) submitted patches to
the RubyGems project based on what they did; and (3) provided
instructions on how to update the default RubyGems in a way that was
still compatible with how Apple installed Ruby.

Fact set two: Debian (1) modified RubyGems; (2) didn't submit any
patches; (3) made a particularly stupid modification; and (4) provided
nothing to help users upgrade RubyGems externally of the Debian
packages.

I personally don't want to see any changes to RubyGems that are *for*
one particular operating system (or worse, a mere Linux distribution).
Not all operating systems have /etc available (see Windows, still an
important target for Ruby).

I'd rather see RubyGems team spend its effort making sure that it
works well with MRI, XRuby, JRuby, Ruby.NET, IronRuby, etc. than
wasting their time trying to please Debian zealots who can't be
bothered to think beyond their noses.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca