----- Original Message -----
From: Curt Hibbs <curt / hibbs.com>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 1:38 AM
Subject: [ruby-talk:28005] Re: [ANN]RDE(IDE for Ruby)

> This is one of the reasons I'm going to proceed with my Ruby/Eclipse
> project.
>
> Eclipse not only runs on Windows, Linux, and Macintosh, but they chose a
> very unique UI design that uses native UI widgets on each platform to
> maximize performance, expected behavior, and the expected look'n'feel on
> each platform. This is on contrast to Java's Swing GUI library which
> reimplements all GUI widgets completely in Java.

OK, this looks very interesting to me.

There are four or five projects in existence... I don't wish to "kill"
any of them, but I would like to see a coordinated effort to produce
a single "best of breed" IDE that is not (necessarily) just one
person's work but includes the best ideas and contributions of
many people.

I have a couple of questions. Maybe more.  :)

1. Does this project (or could it) include the ideas that were
discussed a week or so ago, i.e., remote pair programming
and the like?

2. How much freedom is there in the user interface? (There
are certain features I am a big believer in.)

3. Is there an editor associated with eclipse itself? Or is that
a tools issue? Or totally a orthogonal issue?

4. Are you the project coordinator, Curt?  :)  Is there a project
page somewhere yet, or will there be? I'd like to get involved
in this and I'd like to see others get involved. And I'd hate for it
to be one of those things that gets to version 0.2 and dies...

Thanks,
Hal