On Thursday 15 December 2005 07:32 am, Jim Freeze wrote:
> On 12/14/05, Nick Sieger <nicksieger / gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/14/05, Steve Litt <slitt / earthlink.net> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Anyone have a short and easy GetoptLong example in Ruby? It's
> > > not object oriented in Perl or C, so I'm in unfamiliar
> > > territory.
>
> Have you tried OptionParser? It is fully OO and integrated with
> Application.
>
> Yes, that was the sound of my own horn. :)
>
> I know CommandLine cannot solve everyones needs, but I would be
> interested to hear about it if it doesn't meet your needs. Maybe
> there is something I can change or add to the library.
>
> My nefarious global take over plans are to see CommandLine -
> which has a Ruby flavor - be put in the stdlib and surplant the
> existing optparse and getoptlong parsers which use aging
> methodologies.

Hi Jim,

I came across OptionParser. I tried reading the documentation, but I
saw no simple proof of concept to get me started. I therefore opted
for GetoptLong. At least it's not a total stranger, I've used it in
C and Perl.

Perhaps I just came across the wrong documentation.

I'd like to have the OptionParser documentation contain a proof of
concept, and a couple more examples that follow logically, without
skipping steps.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt