On 11/20/07, Michael Greenly <mgreenly / gmail.com> wrote:
> I got caught by some "tired at the end of the day" stupidity...
>
> I was using the Ubuntu (apt-get installed) package of RubyGems.  Go
> figure if you do a 'gem update --system' in this situation it makes a
> mess of things.

That doesn't surprise me. I don't use the Ubuntu or Debian versions of
Ruby; they're too broken by nonsensical policies to use.

> I choose to try gems out this way because every time I've installed Gems
> from source to some prefix other than /usr/lib  it's managed to find
> some way to not work or be otherwise inconvenient.

It's not /usr/lib. I have RubyGems installed in /usr/local/lib,
because I have *Ruby* in /usr/local. If you're not going to put
RubyGems in the same place as Ruby, you're going to have to go to a
little extra effort.

> RubyGems has really become the one thing about Ruby I dislike.

It's probably because you're not using it the easy way.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca