On Nov 20, 2007 12:53 AM, Michael Greenly <mgreenly / gmail.com> wrote:
> I got caught by some "tired at the end of the day" stupidity...
>
> I was using the Ubuntu (apt-get installed) package of RubyGems.  Go
> figure if you do a 'gem update --system' in this situation it makes a
> mess of things.
>
> I choose to try gems out this way because every time I've installed Gems
> from source to some prefix other than /usr/lib  it's managed to find
> some way to not work or be otherwise inconvenient.
>
> RubyGems has really become the one thing about Ruby I dislike.

My way of looking a this is the brain-dead packaging of Ruby on debian
is the one thing about Ubuntu (and Debian based distros) that *I*
dislike.

The problems you've experienced, I think, come from trying to mix
debian packaged ruby with source installed gems.

When I first started using Ruby on Ubuntu I ran into problems like
this.  At Andy Hunt's suggestion I installed both Ruby and rubygems
from source and haven't looked back.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby