On Nov 19, 12:14 pm, "Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality"
<ihates... / hotmail.com> wrote:
> character.  On a simply practical note, I'm sure the former is more popular
> than the latter in the following:
>
> out = File.open('file.txt', 'r'){|file| file.readlines.collect{|line|
> line.chomp}}
> out = File.open('file.txt', 'r'){|file|
>     ...in that rarely do people actually want newlines in their strings.

FWIW, I never use readlines for this exact reason. I find its
preservation of line endings entirely annoying. I always
IO.read().split when I can.

As much as I'd personally like it changed, and know that such a change
would not affect any of my scripts, I'm concerned that such a change
must fall into the category of "not backwards compatible", and thus
unlikely to be effected without very strong support.

> How do I go about popularizing my opinion?

Discuss the issue here as you are doing. If you don't get a large
vocal outcry against the proposal, or are not swayed by any arguments
that come against it, file an RCR[1] (preferably with a source code
patch attached) and hope that Matz accepts your change into the core.

[1] http://rcrchive.net/