On Nov 18, 2007 8:38 PM, Konrad Meyer <konrad / tylerc.org> wrote:

> (0..(1.0/0)).each {  } will never complete though, because 0.succ is
> eventually going to be a Bignum, while 1.0/0 is a float value Infinity. Since
> a bignum is always going to be less than Infinity, the block is
> executed "forever". (Or at least until the bignum runs the machine out of
> ram.)
>
> Regards,
> --
>
> Konrad Meyer <konrad / tylerc.org> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

Yes, this is something people should understand.  Also, having Range
allow an infinite side may very well break existing code.  Personally
I have no problem with that, but I think the powers that be should
think it over (or maybe they already have). Ranges, IMHO, have a "set"
type purpose, not a pragmatic one.  If people want open-ended ranges,
there's nothing I can really do about it, but I disagree with the
concept whole-heartedly.

I think you and I are mostly in agreement, excepting the fact you may
be more pragmatic than I :-)

Todd