On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:58:32 -0500, Jay Levitt <jay+news / jay.fm>
wrote:

>Easier than that (though not as Ruby-like).  Go get:
>
>http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Filemon.zip
>
>Press CTRL-L, make sure all three checkboxes are checked, and Include:
>ruby.exe.
>
>Assuming it's a disk I/O thing, you'll find it!

Well, yes and no ... this chunk of code takes some 15 seconds, which I
sort of zeroed in on by successive refinement. I have no idea what it
even means. If someone would care to translate it, I'd be interested
and grateful.

    `#{ruby} -i.bak -pe 'sub(/^[0-9]+$/){$&.to_i * 5}' script_tmp`

I'm seeing lots of I/O as I trace all the tests. I'm not seeing
anything that looks notably slower than anything else. Of course there
are 65000 lines created in filemon during the ruby test file ruby.rb,
so I might have missed something.

Very confused ...

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com