On Nov 18, 2007 3:42 PM, steve <oksteev / yahoo.com> wrote:
> there's an instance var @primes which has the list of already generated
> primes, @primes.last would do it

Sounds simple enough, but accessing instance variables seems to be a
rather verbose operation.

Here is what it should look like (if the Prime class worked the way I
originally expected):
   primes = Prime.new
   primes.next.doSomething
   primes.last.doSomethingElse

Here was my first attempt using your suggestion, which looks
reasonable but doesn't work.
   primes = Prime.new
   primes.next.doSomething
   primes. / primes.last.doSomethingElse

Here is what finally worked, but I can't believe the verbosity of the
final line. Is there a shorter way?
   primes = Prime.new
   primes.next.doSomething
   primes.instance_variable_get("@primes").last.doSomethingElse

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.

                    - C.A.R. Hoare -