On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:05:27 -0500, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Jay Levitt wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:54:17 -0500, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Type:  "1 < 405"
>>> 2. Push the left arrow until your cursor is on the space before the 4
>>> (5 times)
>>> 3. Use a backward delete key to remove the <
>>> 4. Push the right arrow to move to the end of the line (5 times)
>>> 5. Try to type: "
>>>
>>> IRb ignores my typing at this point.  Can anyone else confirm that
>>> they see this behavior?
>>
>> Nope!  Doesn't happen for me, either on Cygwin 1.5.24 with Ruby 1.8.6
>> (2007-03-13) or Ubuntu Dapper with Ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24).
>>
>> I imagine it's something weird in your .inputrc, but I've never
>> been good
>> at the terminal stuff - too many legacy layers.
>>
>> What platform are you on?
>
> Mac OS X (Tiger)

OK, my MacBook's got an uncharged battery at the moment, but I can try
there later if you haven't figured it out yet.

>> Also, I should point out that it's not possible to move the arrow

> I said *backward* delete.  There should still be the same number of
> characters in front of your cursor after that operation.

D'oh!  I am so used to people saying "backslash" when they mean "forward
slash" that I mentally unescaped your backwards-delete. :)

So that means, assuming I can still count, that you're actually typing
those quotation marks (e.g. double-quote one space less-than space four
zero five double-quote).  I didn't realize that either.  Oops again.

Still can't replicate on Cygwin or Ubunutu, FWIW.

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they