On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:07:54 -0500, Ron Jeffries wrote:

> To find out what's happening, I've been trying to figure out how to
> make the test command
>
>   ruby runner.rb ruby
>
> trace which tests are running, thinking that since some of the dots
> take forever to come out and some come out quickly, that might be
> interesting information, and lead to some understanding of what is
> going on.

Easier than that (though not as Ruby-like).  Go get:

http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Filemon.zip

Press CTRL-L, make sure all three checkboxes are checked, and Include:
ruby.exe.

Assuming it's a disk I/O thing, you'll find it!

--
Jay Levitt                |
Boston, MA                | My character doesn't like it when they