> Is offering a separate interface that launches the executable with the
> relevant modpack in place not an option?
> Never thought of that. I'm not on my own in this project (actually, some other guy came up with most of the ideas, but he's no programmer, so he asked me for some advice... so I went on ressearching for a way to implement what he came up with).
The thing is: currently, for AOE2, you can launch a graphic modpack
through an external program, in a temporary fashion. But only when the
game is not running (there are no workarounds for this, unless we hack
into the game's source code, which not only takes time, it's also
illegal). Anyway, what I thought of was to, if the player desired to
open a certain modpack, he/she would simply launch the game. It'd be
blocked, and my program would appear, giving the player the option to
choose what modpack he/she would like to use (in a list or something).
Once that was done, the game would then be launched, with the modpack
loaded.
Also, there are AOE2 players that use Windows, and others that use Linux
(and a few who use Macs). So we intended to make this program available
for both OS.

> If you can see the source to that program, it's probably worth taking a
> look to see what the file format is.  To implement a reader in Ruby,
> take a look at the bitstruct library - it's probably got everything
> you'll need.
Where can I get this library?

(BTW, where can I get a good Ruby library for graphical interface?)