2007/11/16, Sean O'Halpin <sean.ohalpin / gmail.com>:
> I also find myself using this pattern:
>
>   if response = http.response # i.e. expecting nil or false on failure
>     response.foo
>     # etc.
>   else
>   end

I seriously dislike the pattern above for the following reasons: it
can be easily misread as "if response == http.response" and there is
no need to have an assignment inside an if condition.  In this case I
prefer an extra variable setter or using "and" if there is just one
statement:

response = http.response

if response

response = http.response and puts response

The situation is different with loops because there often this is the
most elegant solution:

while line = gets

Cheers

robert