> What's the platform?  Windows?  I suspect the answer's no, but there may
> be hooks to do this that I don't know about.
Yes, the platform is Windows XP, but I intend to make it available to
Linux as well. I'm working on an add-on for Age of Empires 2 that
enables the player to choose a modpack before starting the game.

>> 2) Can I make Ruby read *.dat files and convert them into *.txt?
The file is empires2_x1.dat, the data file from Age of Empires 2:
Conquerors Expansion. There's a program that does that already (for
modpack production), but it works quite slowly (30 minutes to produce a
modded data file from an edited txt).