From: Trans [mailto:transfire / gmail.com]
# On Nov 13, 10:35 am, Kamil <kamil.kuk... / gmail.com> wrote:
# > I wish there would be this simple method in the core:
# > class Object
# >   def in?(an_array)
# >     an_array.include?(self)
# >   end
# > end
# > Having that it's nice to write:
# > a = %w(hello world out there)
# > puts 'world'.in?(a)
# concise, but it inverts the oop flow. is it really a big deal to do:
#   a.include?('world')

i'm not sure what you mean by oop flow, but i use it like,

obj="world"
array = %w(hello world out there)

obj.method if obj in? array

in english eg, i'd say

john will swim if he is on the swimming team.

not

john will swim  if the swimming team includes him (??) [ or replace include w other relevant words]

but yes, that is english, so in ruby we prefer the latter?  (just teasing ;-)

in fact, i would even like to extend #in? to return the position (if array) or pair (if hash) of obj in collection (nil otherwise); currently include?only returns plain true/false.

kind regards -botp

ps: heheh, note that i'm also using #in in facets among other things :)  hy (in ruby) can't an object ask itself if it's a member of a collection??