From: Trans [mailto:transfire / gmail.com]=20
# On Nov 13, 10:35 am, Kamil <kamil.kuk... / gmail.com> wrote:
# > I wish there would be this simple method in the core:
# > class Object
# >   def in?(an_array)
# >     an_array.include?(self)
# >   end
# > end
# > Having that it's nice to write:
# > a =3D %w(hello world out there)
# > puts 'world'.in?(a)
# concise, but it inverts the oop flow. is it really a big deal to do:
#   a.include?('world')

i'm not sure what you mean by oop flow, but i use it like,

obj=3D"world"
array =3D %w(hello world out there)

obj.method if obj in? array
  =20
in english eg, i'd say

john will swim if he is on the swimming team.

not

john will swim  if the swimming team includes him (??) [ or replace =
include w other relevant words]

but yes, that is english, so in ruby we prefer the latter?  (just =
teasing ;-)

in fact, i would even like to extend #in? to return the position (if =
array) or pair (if hash) of obj in collection (nil otherwise); currently =
include?only returns plain true/false.

kind regards -botp
 =20
ps: heheh, note that i'm also using #in in facets among other things :)  =
 why (in ruby) can't an object ask itself if it's a member of a =
collection??