On Nov 14, 2007, at 09:25 , Ron Jeffries wrote:

> When in the Rails ruby folder, we run
>   ruby runner.rb ruby
> Chet's machine takes about 6 seconds, and mine takes 93 seconds.
>
> This is ruby tests, not rails. Other comparison tests our machines are
> about the same, including a big loop in C#, starting visual studio,
> starting eclipse, or starting Word. By and large, the machines run the
> same speed. For Ruby, I'm 15x slower or worse.

This is making me think that your DNS is confused.  I don't know if
rails tries to do a name lookup, but it is probable.  I'm sure that
ruby's tests do socket lookups.

$ time ruby -rsocket -e 'p Socket.gethostbyname("127.0.0.1")'
["localhost", ["test"], 2, "\177\000\000\001"]

real    0m0.042s
user    0m0.010s
sys     0m0.009s