On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:42:17 -0500, Tanner Burson
<tanner.burson / gmail.com> wrote:

>Does it happen running irb, or other normal ruby scripts, or is it
>strictly related to rails?

Ruby -v (print the version) is a bit slower on my machine than Chet's.
A ruby program counting to N is a small constant amount slower on my
machine, like one second slower no matter what N is, up to about
100,000.

A C# program counting to 1,000,000,000 runs the same on his machine
and mine.

When in the Rails ruby folder, we run
  ruby runner.rb ruby
Chet's machine takes about 6 seconds, and mine takes 93 seconds.

This is ruby tests, not rails. Other comparison tests our machines are
about the same, including a big loop in C#, starting visual studio,
starting eclipse, or starting Word. By and large, the machines run the
same speed. For Ruby, I'm 15x slower or worse.

Advise me, please. Thanks,

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com