James Britt wrote:
> Ron Jeffries wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:22:29 -0500, Mohit Sindhwani
>> <mo_mail / onghu.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you on XP or Vista?  Do you have an aggressive virus scanner than
>>> scans every file each time it is accessed?  You may need to look for
>>> a way to disable scanning on the InstantRails directory.
>>
>> I'm on XP. I don't think McAfee is that aggressive but I will check.
>> I'd have thought that other things would be just as slow if that were
>> the case though. I'll report back if I find anything. Probably not
>> tonight.
>>> Rails on Windows is slow - but not that bad (obviously).
>>
>> Right ... it works just fine on Chet's machine.
>
> I've run Ruby apps, including Rails apps, on an XP laptop with little
> trouble.  However, the times that Windows has been painfully slow
> (whether I was running Ruby or not) tended (as best I could tell) to be
> related to networking.
>

> For example, browsing the file system would all too often stall File
> Manager (or File Explorer or whatever it's called) because the OS would
> attempt to resolve mapped  network drives and such.  Seems the time-out
> period is glacial, and until the OS is happy things come to a crawl.
>
> (note: my Win32 SysAdmin skillz ==  Google + MSDN + ad hos experiments)
>
> So, Dr. Anecdotal suggests looking to see if there are mapped drives
> (either actually connected  or not),  references to network printers,
> and so on.
>

> James
> Now on Kubuntu

My experience on Windows laptops (even more anecdotal than yours) is
that the hard drive is usually the bottleneck. And check your power
control settings -- you might be running with 1/3 processor speed, with
the hard drive spinning up and down between web hits, or other bizarre
notions geared to battery conservation modes even when you're plugged
into the wall.

But on my laptop, even though I run with everything at maximum speed
when plugged in, the hard drive is still beastly slow in Windows, so
it's usually booted into Linux. :)