Alex Chaffee wrote:
> On Nov 13, 10:02 am, Roger Pack <rogerpack2... / gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I obviously can't speak for the OP, but I'd find a command-line option
>>> to switch the console stack dump to full depth very handy.
>> Amen.
>> --
>
> At the risk of appearing too doctrinaire, I think a command-line
> option is not the right solution here. It should work correctly by
> default.
Ordinarily I'd agree.  However, leaving the default behaviour unchanged
means you can't break anything that depends on it.  I'd like to see a
change in the default for 1.9 (untested, so I don't know what the
current behaviour actually is...) but it might be to intrusive for 1.8.

> In the "production logs" use case I mentioned before, it is
> very likely that the code that actually launches ruby is buried
> somewhere deep in a system startup file, which means that we'd have to
> patch all such files to pass in the "--backtraces-work-correctly" flag
> on every system, which sounds like a logistical and political
> nightmare.
It's not quite that complicated - either replacing /usr/bin/ruby with a
shell script shim or getting the command-line switch into RUBYOPT (which
I think is the correct method) would do it.  Either way it's a fix in a
single place (per system).

--
Alex