Ron Jeffries wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:22:29 -0500, Mohit Sindhwani
> <mo_mail / onghu.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you on XP or Vista?  Do you have an aggressive virus scanner than
>> scans every file each time it is accessed?  You may need to look for a
>> way to disable scanning on the InstantRails directory.
>
> I'm on XP. I don't think McAfee is that aggressive but I will check.
> I'd have thought that other things would be just as slow if that were
> the case though. I'll report back if I find anything. Probably not
> tonight.
>> Rails on Windows is slow - but not that bad (obviously).
>
> Right ... it works just fine on Chet's machine.

I've run Ruby apps, including Rails apps, on an XP laptop with little
trouble.  However, the times that Windows has been painfully slow
(whether I was running Ruby or not) tended (as best I could tell) to be
related to networking.

For example, browsing the file system would all too often stall File
Manager (or File Explorer or whatever it's called) because the OS would
attempt to resolve mapped  network drives and such.  Seems the time-out
period is glacial, and until the OS is happy things come to a crawl.

(note: my Win32 SysAdmin skillz ==  Google + MSDN + ad hos experiments)

So, Dr. Anecdotal suggests looking to see if there are mapped drives
(either actually connected  or not),  references to network printers,
and so on.

James
Now on Kubuntu