M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> As far as sharing data is concerned, to keep everybody's garbage
> collectors and memory allocators happy and segfault-free, you probably
> need to do explicit transfers of data between the various packages,

This is a significant barrier.  Having to marshal and unmarshal your
data whenever you go from one domain to another is annoying.  It's a
large part of what we're trying to avoid in moving away from a
multi-language solution.  I think Ruby's got the right ingredients to
pull this stuff together: dynamism, easy C interaction, and flexible and
unobtrusive syntax.  But someone needs to sit down and do some Serious
Work before it's a viable Matlab replacement.  I've made a couple of
half-hearted tries, but it's hard to make progress piece-by-piece when
you're trying to generate results right-this-minute.