On Nov 12, 6:39 pm, James Edward Gray II <ja... / grayproductions.net>
wrote:

> >> If the Regexp contain such an anchor, we probably shouldn't be
> >> calling gsub().
>
> > We don't know what's in re, so we can't make a judgment about gsub.
>
> If you don't know the contents of the Regexp and thus you call gsub
> (), you are a much braver programmer than I am!

You've never used a Regexp variable?  Always a Regexp literal for
you?  That's why I put a variable there, to make the point that it
can't just be concatenated.

> It's clear we just disagree and I've said my peace now.  You win.  ;)

In my previous post, I did however make a valid argument with a valid
example, to which you did not respond.