> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>> implementation (YARV being most complete and furthest along...but we
>> have some 1.9 features in JRuby too).
>
> 1. As far as I know, *only* MRI is "100 percent MRI compatible". :) The
> 2. I don't think MRI is a dead end at all, considering the discussions
> I've seen on this list just since I got back from RubyConf. I see people
> seriously proposing re-doing the garbage collector, for example, and I
> see other people investing a lot of effort in tweaking Rails to use Ruby
> and the underlying OS more efficiently.

In retrospect, maybe it would be worth more long term investment for
1.9, but I still favor 'tweaks' for 1.8.6 as being useful.

So that would mean to apply existing 'useful'
patches/observations/tweaks to 1.8.6 (a small amount of work), and then
do the big jobs on jruby or 1.9.  The reason I say this is that beyond
the already existing 1.8.6 patches (there's a coy-on-write (COW)
friendly GC, and you can resize the heap chunks to keep memory low), I
don't think we'll get much more speed savings unless we drastically
alter the GC (i.e. went to generation or, my fav. reference checking).
Therefore if we did completely re-write the GC, to get those 'real speed
boosts' the usefulness would be short sighted, as it would be being
phased out because of slower speed overall compared to 1.9.

So if one were to re-write the GC, since it's a large task, doing it for
1.9 makes sense.  Small tweaks, though, don't cost much to make
(tweaking parameters, not rewriting code).  Like GCC flag optimization,
smaller memory use.

I hate to say it but with this post, I'm operating under the assumption
that 1.9 is going to become the 'most popular ruby interpreter' and
hence worth investing time into.  It's possible that the time
investments should be made into Jruby, should it somehow swamp the
market.  For now it seems the MRI 1.9 will be fastest, so most useful to
optimize.  Any thoughts?  Oh wait is like a self-fulfilling decision...
:)
Also I can't think of a cool Jruby project off the top of my head that
would be fun to 'fix.' -- I'm unfamiliar with its bottlenecks.

Have a good one!
-Roger