M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> I'm genuinely curious about this -- MATLAB is a (very expensive closed
> source) package that caters to numerical processing, including signal
> and image processing. Can MATLAB process regular expressions? Can
> Mathematica? Or does one need a two-language solution -- MATLAB for the
> number crunching and Perl, Python or Ruby for the data extraction?

String processing in MATLAB (Octave, really) is agony, so I tend to use
a hybrid of Perl and Octave.  I've tried Ruby plus NArray/rb-gsl and
Perl plus PDL, but neither has Octave's huge number of linear algebra
functions (SVD, least-squares, eigenvalues, ...) or plotting support.
Compact arrays are crucial, but they're only a small part of the story.