I'm running a linux virtual machine on my windows pc, and am trying to
install ruby.  i've used apt-get, like so:

  apt-­get install ruby ri rdoc mysql­server libmysql­ruby

now, ruby is *there* but not installed.  ie

  whereis ruby
   => ruby: /usr/bin/ruby /usr/lib/ruby /usr/share/man/man1/ruby.1.gz

but when i try to use ruby i get:

  ruby hello_world.rb
   =>The program 'ruby' is currently not installed.  You can install it
by
  typing:
  apt-get install ruby

This happens even if i navigate to /usr/bin/ruby first.  (btw if i do
"apt-get install ruby" i'm told it's already installed).

I've tried adding the above folder to my path as follows:

in ~/.bashrc

  export PATH=/usr/bin/ruby:.:$PATH

Can anyone see what i've done wrong?  Could this be because it's in a
virtual machine?  (i don't see why but i'm new to this stuff)

thanks
max