nate wrote:
>> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>

>>> Since you're not swapping, any free memory you have above the minimum
>>> set by the kernel *should* be going into "buffers" and "cached" to
>>> reduce the amount of I/O you need to do.
>> Yep I understand all that, to illustrate, one of the server's memory
>> usage -
>>

> Rolled 3 of the 4 servers back to the older OS last night, this
> morning the 4th system freaked out again and it wasn't caught straight
> away, when I logged in I noticed another ruby process was in "D",
> and this one wasn't being served by apache, but rather it was a
> ruby cron job, so there must be some bug in ruby or interaction between
> this version of ruby and the OS. Going to upgrade to a newer rev
> of ruby 1.8.5(-114) in test environment today to hopefully roll to the
> prod system tomorrow to see if that helps.
>
> nate

Interestingly enough, "older" is a misnomer, since the Fedora OS was
something like 2.6.17-xx and the CentOS/RHEL 4.5 was 2.6.9-xx. :) But
Red Hat tweaks their kernels mercilessly, and considering some of the
talented folks they have and the close ties they have with the server
hardware vendors, an RHEL kernel or its CentOS clone is usually better
than one from Fedora.

Does anyone here know what version of Ruby and what OS/DBMS/webserver
the BaseCamp people run in production? BaseCamp, after all, is the
mother of all Rails applications. :)