> Those features being "finalizers"?  IMHO its main advantage is being
> prompt, so you don't have to worry about resources hanging around after
> they're no longer needed.

I agree--it seems that the promptness would allow it to take advantage
of the cpu caches to still be fast.
The disadvantage, as some people above have pointed out, is that you may
lose compactness of the heap space.
Also it requires extension's 'containers' objects (those that include
references to other objects that might somehow create cycles) to provide
a 'traverse' funcion which yields a list of accessible pointers so that
you can traverse containers and stomp cycles every so often.  Very
similar to today's 'gc_mark' function that they already provide.
Today's extensions would also have to be slightly rewritten to use the
'dec' and 'inc' functions for the reference count of contained objects
(similar to their gc_mark function, again).

So anyway I agree--promptness is good.
I don't know too much on the subject, though, having never read a paper
on it :)
-Roger