I've been stumped on this problem for days and I have a feeling that it
is really simple...

I am trying to create a folder at the following location:
C:\documents and settings\[username]\application data\amaranth

The following code works great unless the username has a non-English
character in it (for example, JoƩ). In this case, when I try to use the
path, I get a "path not found" error, and it says that the path is:
C:\documents and settings\Jo\application data\amaranth

From what I can see, my code is striping out any non-English characters.
I'm not quite sure how to get these non-English characters to show up.

Here is my code:

------------------------------------

SHGetFolderPath =
Win32API.new("shell32.dll","SHGetFolderPathW",["P","I","P","I","P"],"I")

path = " " * 256

SHGetFolderPath.call(0,0x001A,0,0,path)

$appPath = path.strip.gsub("\000","") + "\\amaranth"

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm pretty new at this
so if you can be as non-technical as possible, I would appreciate it.

:)

Amanda