On Nov 8, 8:53 pm, Thufir <hawat.thu... / gmail.com> wrote:
> I notice this alert when installing Ruby:
>
> Please review the ReadMe and License below.
>
> * You must install as administrator on Windows NT,
>   2000, and XP in order for path and environment
>   variable settings to take effect.
>
> I'm in XP and would like gems, but do not have Administrator
> privileges.  I can run ruby programs by typing the filename, foo.rb,
> at the command prompt but, of course, I don't have a ruby command and
> so no gems :(

The admin priviliges are required to change environment variable PATH
and also include RUBYOPT=rubygems that autoamtically load RubyGems for
you.

You can manually include the path doing:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\Ruby\bin

IN a command prompt. After that you should have 'gem', 'rake' and even
ruby commands available.

You can wrap that sentence in a batch file, but I don't have a Windows
machine handy right now to give you the exact details :-)

Maybe we should add a "Ruby Command Prompt" Icon in the Ruby programs
folder that do this for you.

Please, feel free to add this as Feature Request in the Tracker:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=718&group_id=167&func=browse