Roger Pack wrote:
>> Coincidentally, I did grab 1.1b1 so the benchmarks game has new
>> measurements
>>
>> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=jruby
>
> Wow it would appear that jruby is indeed faster, and indeed uses a lot
> more memory :)  (or maybe that's just startup overhead).  thanks for a
> good program!

It's another well-known fact about running on the JVM that we have to
suck it up and accept there's an initial memory chunk eaten up by every
JVM process. If one excludes that initial cost, most measurements have
us using less memory than C Ruby...so for very large apps we end up
coming out ahead. But for small, short apps, the initial slow startup
and high memory usage is going to be a battle we fight for a long time.

- Charlie