Shuaib Zahda wrote:
> Hi all
>
> in my program I am using a lot of true false conditions. So, I want to
> shorten my code by using the conditional operator ? : but when I use the
> word return it gives an error which i do not really know why?
>
> e.g. x == 5 ? return true : return false
> SyntaxError: compile error
> (irb):19: syntax error, unexpected kTRUE
>
> but if i do not use return it works
>
> x == 5 ? true : false

The ternary operator ? : evaluates to a value, so it expects values (or
expressions evaluating to values, but not statements as in your example)
after ? and : . You would also not write

x = return 5

because during an assignment, Ruby expects a value on the right side of
the equation mark.

Cheers,
Peter
___