On Nov 4, 7:17 pm, mortee <mortee.li... / kavemalna.hu> wrote:
> Trans wrote:
> > As
> > such, it represents the first important piece in my overall strategy
> > for creating a near "zero-install" system for Ruby.
>
> The whole thing sounds great! Are the further planned steps secret?

No secrets. But the time line is completely open at this point.

The main thing is remote requiring. I've already implemented some
working prototypes of this. I just need to give some consideration to
how it would work best in Rolls, tie it into the system, and add
signature support. The basic idea here is that you can require a file
which maps to a remote location, if it's not available locally it will
automatically go out and get it and cache/install it for subsequent
use. Hence zero-install.

Also, there is the potential for a traditional, but feather weight,
package manager to better compliment Rolls that can utilize
repositories directly rather than prepared packages. Though, this
isn't really urgent since Rolls can actually piggy back on RubyGems in
the mean time.

T.