Tony Arcieri wrote:
> DistribuStream is an open peer-to-peer communications system which aims to
> become the successor to BitTorrent.

I'm quite interested in the "ad hoc HTTP caching proxy network" part.
Some of the folks I work with in the CE dept at Berkeley want to use
HTTP for services in ad hoc vehicle networks (VANET). In another
project, I'm using ruby for HTTP proxying over mobile wireless networks
using UDP broadcast on the wireless link (DSRC), instead of TCP, to
avoid the setup time. Caching is valuable because the networks are so
limited in bandwidth, latency, and connection duration.

However: there's gotta be a better name than DistribuStream. Why call it
"distribu" stream if its main difference from BitTorrent is that it is
more centralized? ("The onus of traffic scheduling is placed entirely on
the server." Isn't that going to be a bottleneck, anyway? Or can the
servers be distributed? How do they cooperate?)

If you'll forgive the suggestions, what about...?

Distributary (a branching river)
Bitstributary
Roost (like Joost, but "R" for ruby)
Distribrew
Brew
Brewst

Ignore the last few. I'm probably just feeling bad about not drinking
beer with all the great ruby minds.

Thanks for announcing this.