On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:08:38 +0900, Konrad Meyer <konrad / tylerc.org> wrote:
> Anyone doing any sort of programming should be using a font that
> distinguishes 1 and l.
>
> Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but using a good font is important.

This is very true, but there are plenty of situations where you can't
control the font your code will be viewed in.  For example, in the case
of email and the web, you are often at the mercy of the font choices made
by your readers (and/or the makers of their software).

So, I'd suggest doing both:  use good fonts when you can, and minimize
the use of ambiguous letters for the sake of those viewing your code under
less-than-ideal conditions.

-mental