On Oct 30, 10:10 am, "Laurent Sansonetti"
<laurent.sansone... / gmail.com> wrote:
> We received many valuable feedback during the past days, thank you
> very much! We also received lots of pertinent questions, and since
> most of them were asked many times, we decided to open a FAQ:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/ruby/wiki/FAQ

Thank you for all of the great work, and the FAQ. However, there's one
question I have that I didn't see answered.

The "What's new" page states:

> Ruby libraries or extensions that you install manually, will go in
> /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8, which is empty after the installation, but
> part of the default Ruby load path before others. You can therefore
> install any Ruby library or extension without worrying about
> incidentally modifying things in /System.

My question is, what about ruby *applications* that I install
manually? That is, a ruby package that contains a main executable
script, which currently goes into /usr/local/bin when I pass "--
prefix=/usr/local" into the "setup.rb config" command that I use
during installation? Where will the executable script go by default
under Leopard? Will it go into /usr/bin?

Right now, I only have a single such program installed and which I
rely on, which is misen (http://devel.korinkan.co.jp/misen/). When I
upgrade to Leopard, I was thinking of removing my entire custom ruby
installation from /usr/local, and relying on the built in one. But
what will happen if I try to install misen?