Hi --

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Chris Richards wrote:

> Is there a better way to write text to a file?
>
> File.open("/file/location/new.txt","w") {|file| file.write "data to
> write"}
>
> It just seems a bit long winded and unmessy

Are you sure you mean unmessy? :-) In any case -- I agree, it does
have a bit of overhead, and always seems like a lot to write when just
writing one thing. It pays for itself when the block contains more
logic, of course.

You could do:

(File.open("file","w") << data).close

though that makes the writing seem kind of side-effect-esque.

David

   * Advancing With Rails, Edison, NJ, November 6-9
See http://www.rubypal.com for details!