Hello --

On 30/10/2007, James Britt <james.britt / gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously, patterns are often language-specific.  the GoF book is
> typically cited, but patterns for Java/C++ do not always apply in Ruby.

I can't say I agree here.  Patterns are just that; patterns.  How they
manifest themselves within different languages might differ, but the
intent is still the same.   Take the AbstractFactory pattern for
example -- you get that one for free in Ruby.  There's already the
Observer pattern in the core, too.

> There is (to my knowledge)  no Patterns for Ruby book (though it would
> not surprise me if someone is signing a publishing contract at this very
> moment), but a Smalltalk patterns book might help.

IMO, the GOF book is all you need, although note:

http://rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/ExampleDesignPatternsInRuby

As well as numerous (sporadic, more like) references to do with
patterns on the C2 wiki:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki

-- Thomas Adam