Konrad Meyer wrote:
> Quoth Morton Goldberg:
>> On Oct 29, 2007, at 4:06 PM, Trans wrote:
>>
>> > I'm curious about use the .txt extension on README. I know Hoe does
>> > this. Why? Is this just to make it easier for Windows developers? Or
>> > is there some other reason?
>>
>> Not just Windows. The Mac OS X Finder recognizes the txt extension.
>>
>> Regards, Morton
>
>   Surely It's not just about recognition? Linux graphical file-explorers
> (Nautilus, Konqueror, etc) recognise the '.txt' extension, but it isn't
> required.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Konrad Meyer <konrad / tylerc.org> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

I think any decent file management program should use both MIME and
.extension. I know KDE/Konqueror does this but I think Windows is more
concerned with the .txt and skips looking at the text/plain mime type but I've
never really had cause to screw with file associations under Windows NT -> I
just right click and open with vim it :-)

By default I assume files without extensions are text files (UTF-8, ISO
8859-x, ASCII). If it's full of garbage I know it's binary. When in doubt I
just use file(1) since it's used in just about every Linux and BSD system out
there and has a Windows port as well.

TerryP.

PS: Yes I do prefer my unix shell to file managers.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com