Dany Wu wrote:
> ...I'm looking for a way to return an x number of characters
> from a string, eg. 5 characters starting from position 10 in the string,
> the last 10 chars, the first 15 chars, etc.
>
> Is there a String method that does this? I can't seem to find any but I
> may have missed something glaringly obvious. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

str =  "In the absence of justice, what is sovereignty but organized
robbery?"

#5 characters starting from position 10 in the string:

sub_str = str[10, 5]  #first char is pos 0, so pos 10 is 11th char
puts sub_str + "<----"

--output:--
ence <----

#the last 10 chars:

sub_str = str[-10..-1]
puts sub_str + "<----"

--output:--
d robbery?

#the first 15 chars:

sub_str = str[0...15] #notice the 3 dots v. 2 dots
puts sub_str + "<----"

--output:--
In the absence <----