Thanks for the help guys. I am developing in osx and will deploy in
ubuntu (this is for a rails app). My original command does not work in
the command line, nor does zip --help on my local machine.

The command you suggested, Ed, gives the following response:

adding: Users/petermarks/Desktop/orbus/public/1/daily/2007-10-29/
(stored 0%)

The archive it produces contains the folders of the intended archive's
path, but not the contents of the "2007-10-29" folder. I need to archive
the contents of that folder. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Peter