David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, S?ren Andersen wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm fairly new to ruby coming from some Java.
>> I've been reading "The pragmatic programmers guide", which is pretty
>> good.
>> But, I always find it's easier to learn the language using it, rather
>> than
>> just reading about it. (Naturally...)
>>
>> So - what are your favorite "learning-by-doing"-proejcts? Both
>> ruby-specific, and generally?
>
> My "rite of passage" program for new languages is usually the
> word-game Jotto. (Somewhere I have my Ruby version of it....) I find
> game-ish things to be quite good for language-learning purposes. Not
> necessarily full-blown video games and such, but things like decks of
> cards, anagrams, and checker board moves.
>
> The main thing is to keep it all a bit fluid -- for instance, if
> you're doing a checker board, try it with arrays and also with the
> Matrix class. It can be a good excuse for exploring the language and
> trying things out.
>

> David

You *really* want that "checkers" Ruby Quiz, don't you? ;)

When I was a (very) young person I wanted a computer. Of course this was
so long ago that *people* didn't own computers, just businesses and
government agencies. And what did I want to do with it? Two things --
play games and predict the weather. It seems like there are many more
fun things to do these days, but the game thing must be pretty much
universal if it was something people wanted to do that long ago.

So ... is anyone doing computational fluid dynamics in Ruby? ;)