--1926193751-1444638211-11936977612060

Hi --

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Sen Andersen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm fairly new to ruby coming from some Java.
> I've been reading "The pragmatic programmers guide", which is pretty good.
> But, I always find it's easier to learn the language using it, rather than
> just reading about it. (Naturally...)
>
> So - what are your favorite "learning-by-doing"-proejcts? Both
> ruby-specific, and generally?

My "rite of passage" program for new languages is usually the
word-game Jotto. (Somewhere I have my Ruby version of it....) I find
game-ish things to be quite good for language-learning purposes. Not
necessarily full-blown video games and such, but things like decks of
cards, anagrams, and checker board moves.

The main thing is to keep it all a bit fluid -- for instance, if
you're doing a checker board, try it with arrays and also with the
Matrix class. It can be a good excuse for exploring the language and
trying things out.

David

   * Advancing With Rails, Edison, NJ, November 6-9
See http://www.rubypal.com for details!