On 10/28/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter / sun.com> wrote:
> Michael Guterl wrote:
> > I have had a hard time keeping track of the different deployment options for
> > deployment of Rails applications on JRuby.  I try following all of your
> > blogs but I'm not sure what is the recommended setup.  I'm familiar with
> > mongrel from MRI, however, I'm not a Java guy.  When it comes down to
> > Tomcat, GlassFish, etc. what are my best (from performance to simplicity)
> > options?  What are the best options for packaging my applications for
> > deployment to these application servers?  I have seen mention of goldspike
> > and warbler but I am not sure which I should be using.
>
> To be honest, I'm as confused as you are. There's a massive
> simplification that needs to happen somewhere. Warbler has helped a lot
> though, and it's being used internally by Sun to package Rails apps as
> WAR files. I'd expect the Warbler approach is most people will want to
> follow in the future.
>
> What we really need is this kind of feedback, to smack the GoldSpike and
> Warbler people around and let them know "this is getting too
> complicated". You should pass that along on the JRuby or JRuby-Extras
> mailing lists (and if you have any ideas, you should offer them...even
> if you don't think you're qualified. The "Java way" is very often the
> wrong way.)

I agree that the options here are confusing and not well documented.
It's not clear that there's a single approach. This speaks mostly to
the relative immaturity of the options combined with the fact that
there have always been many, many ways of deploying applications in
the Java world.

Hopefully as these options have time to bake, they will crystallize
around a couple of approaches:

1. Deployment ease with a minimum of knowledge of the Java platform
and application servers. Comparable to the MRI/mongrel combo today.
The Glassfish gem [1] will hopefully address this need.
2. When there is existing Java infrastructure/application servers, or
you want to run multiple Rails apps on a single server, WAR file
deployment packaged with Warbler [2], and using whatever glue works
and performs best to patch Rails into the servlet environment.
Currently this is Goldspike [3] (which Warbler packages today), but
other approaches are being worked on as well.

/Nick

[1]: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/arungupta/archive/2007/09/announcing_glas.html
[2]: http://caldersphere.rubyforge.org/warbler/
[3]: http://www.headius.com/jrubywiki/index.php/Rails_Integration