As one Old Fart to an Old Code Toad...

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, CodeToad wrote:

> What are you doing with ruby?

Everything they let me.

> What would you *like* to do with ruby?

Don't tell anyone, but a vast amount of legacy C/C++ code is just
really crappily written stuff for doing IO/ shifting strings / data
blocks. Supposedly they use C for efficiency. I bet I could port our
embedded app to Ruby and shrink it by about a factor of 20 and still
have it as responsive.

> Do you see ruby as a focal-point or general purpose language?

Definitely.

> Has anyone worked with ruby along side c++ ?

Stroustrup's stated Objective function in designing C++ was to
extended C to improve code reuse whilst adding the minimum number of
new keywords.

As a Quant you shouldn't take you much thought to see that that is a
wondrously truly crappy objective function for an optimization task!

> How about ruby with a big, bad oo-database like Objectivity?

Haven't tried, but just on general principles I do Lots of data
mining. But I don't use databases.

Databases are vastly complicated by the need to handle updates,
insertes, deletes and transactions.

For data mining working with a flat file snapshot can be a 100 times
faster!

New Zealand