Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Actually, we do that a bit already. For example, we do not track arrays
> constructed during argument processing, since they are typically
> transient. The problem is that we could only choose to track all Ruby
> objects, for example...which would cripple other JRuby apps running in
> the same process.

[...]

> The problem is not so much that the object references move as that you
> would have to lock the memory locations for some period of time to be
> able to walk the object table. And I think that's *bad* especially when
> we're looking at JRuby allowing folks to run dozens of apps in the same
> process and memory space out of the box. We can't lock things down like
> that.

Sorry for the extremely uninitiated and naive question - but when you're
about to enumerate each object in an application, aren't you interested
only in this application's objects anyway? So why would you have to lock
anything about the other ruby apps in the same process? Is that kind of
distinguishing objects impossible on the GC/enumeration level?

mortee