Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
>> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>>

>>> What more would folks like to know about?
>>
>> I's like to know more about non-Rails Ruby Web apps that use JRuby.
>>
>> Packaging, deployment, known issues, what's needed, etc.
>>
>> I expect Charlie probably cannot answer all of these for the myriad
>> Ruby Web frameworks out there, so if anyone has experience or
>> observations about using JRuby with Nitro, Camping, Ramaze, Iowa, etc.
>> please speak up.
>
> I can talk about one option that *should* be in 1.1: Ruvlets.
>
> Tom Enebo has been working on a nice, simple Ruby-based servlet API for
> folks wanting to use Ruby but not wanting to wire in Rails or another
> large framework (or for people wanting to easily wire framework X into a
> servlet environment). It goes something like this:
>
> ruvlet.rb:
>
>   def service(request, response)
>     # handle request, send response
>   end

That looks pretty much like Rack.

   http://rack.rubyforge.org/doc/

> And that's about it for the simplest case. You stick this in a WAR file
> with the Ruvlet servlet configured, and it will be routed all requests.

Might be interesting to JRubyify Rack, or make Rack and Ruvlet easily
interchangeable, so that Rack-ready frameworks (Ramaze, Nitro, Camping,
Sinatra, others) can pop over to JRuby.

--
James Britt

"The use of anthropomorphic terminology when dealing with
computing systems is a symptom of professional immaturity."
  - Edsger W. Dijkstra