John Tsombakos wrote:
> Michael Steinfeld wrote:
>> On 10/28/07, John Tsombakos <johnts / charter.net> wrote:
>>> [well, that's now system installed though], etc.) ?
>>>
>>> Do I just delete/rename the applications? (ruby, irb, rake, svn*, etc)
>>
>> you can append /usr/local to the end of your PATH instead. if /usr/bin
>> is before /usr/local/bin in your PATH ENV then /usr/bin/whatever will
>> be found/used first.

> Oh yeah! Didn't even think of that!
>
> I don't seem to have a ~/.ruby_inline file (I installed using the
> Hivelogic directions, from source), so not sure if I need to do that.
>
> My source_cache is in the (now unused) /usr/local path, do I need to
> worry about it?
>
> Thanks!

Hmm.. I made that change, then tried to update gems (sudo gem update).
It seemed to be going well, until it hit this and died:

Installing ri documentation for activerecord-1.15.5...
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/rdoc.rb:101:in
`error':  (RDoc::RDocError)
Directory /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/doc/activerecord-1.15.5/ri already
exists, but it looks like it
isn't an RDoc directory. Because RDoc doesn't want to risk
destroying any of your existing files, you'll need to
specify a different output directory name (using the
--op <dir> option).