Greg Willits wrote:
> Is there a way to add a path to $: permanently so I don't have to append
> a path at the start of every script that needs it?

Use the RUBYLIB environment variable. From man ruby:

RUBYLIB         A colon-separated list of directories that are added to
                 Ruby?s library load path ($:). Directories from this
                 environment variable are searched before the standard
                 load path is searched.

                 e.g.:
                       RUBYLIB="$HOME/lib/ruby:$HOME/lib/rubyext"